Liposuction is one of the procedures that has increased dramatically and there are many different options available. It is important to run through your suitability during a consultation, understand the pros and cons and be empowered to make a decision to proceed. By following these simple steps below you are likely to achieve desirable results.
- Be realistic- Do not think that liposuction will transform you from a size 14 to a size 8. Liposuction is generally suitable for individuals with stubborn fat deposits, such as ‘love handles’. Unfortunately for some of us no matter how much we diet and exercise we acquire fat pockets that just won’t budge. Be aware of the fact that although you may not drop 4 dress sizes, your clothes are likely to fit significantly better and subsequently your confidence levels are likely to rise.
- Maintain an ideal weight- In order for liposuction to be effective it is advisable that you are at your ideal weight and have maintained that weight for some time. Remember that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure by any means and by entering into a consultation at your ideal weight you will mostly likely achieve the results you desire.
- Patience is a virtue- All good things come to those who wait, right? Therefore, there is no need to panic that you don’t look how you want to look in your bikini 3 weeks after surgery. The results of surgery can take numerous months and post-operative swelling can significantly cloud your results. In addition to the swelling you might want to hold off trying on your bikini due to the bruising, usually you can expect to be bruised for a good few weeks after surgery.
- Let yourself recover- Don’t expect miracles! Liposuction is an invasive surgery and thus requires a recovery period; generally, a week off work with your feet up and a cup of tea in your hand should be sufficient. Postoperatively you will also be advised as to when you can resume your physical activities such as swimming, going to the gym etc.
- Importance of aftercare- Your surgeon will provide you with an ever so attractive compression garment which you will be required to wear for a good few weeks post-operatively. Such garments are all part of the recovery process and it is vital that you wear it in order for your body to adjust to its new shape. Try and remember that this garment will hopefully improve the final result and will help control the inevitable swelling.
- Liposuction is no quick-fix- I hate to be the one to tell you that weight gain is still a possibility following liposuction. Ultimately, if weight gain occurs you are significantly less likely to gain weight within the treated areas as the fat cells within that area will have been permanently removed. Therefore, eating clean and exercising should still be incorporated in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.